[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Getting m0n0wall up and running.
 Date:  Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:26:31 -0400
On 8/29/05, Neil A. Hillard <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk> wrote:

> The only way I discovered to resolve this was to access the hidden page
> status.php.  I further tracked this down to it actually running
> 'ifconfig -a'.  After doing that, the port effectively comes alive and
> traffic starts flowing.
>
> It would seem to be a bug in the network driver.

That's what this particular case is beginning to sound like too.
Though in this case, you can't get into a shell to try anything since
it's completely offline until you assign the interfaces, and that
fixes the problem.  It's definitely saving the config though.

If not done already, I'd disable plug and play OS in the BIOS in case
that somehow might make a difference.  Upgrading the BIOS, if an
option, also might help.  Switching the LAN and WAN interfaces (tl0 to
WAN, de0 to LAN) to see if it affects both interfaces or just one
might be helpful.

On the "read error", that's very common on those old HP's.  Not sure
why, as I've never messed with one and everyone I've heard of that's
tried one gave up immediately and moved to some other hardware
instead.

-Chris