[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Dollmont <cdollmont at mac dot com>
 To:  Jayden Phillips <trainguy77 at shaw dot ca>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] IPsec speed
 Date:  Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:32:10 -0700
On Aug 29, 2005, at 4:22 PM, Jayden Phillips wrote:

> I checked today, the machine is a 600 mhz machine. Is there a way I
> can tell
> how much CPU is being used?

If you're using 1.2b9, the CPU performance is graphed on the Status
page.

Having said that, it's likely that the CPU is *not* the culprit. A
600 Mhz CPU is plenty fast enough to handle even a very large IPSec
tunnel--one of my tunnel endpoints on a 3 Mbps connection is a 266
Pentium, and the performance on that tunnel is very good.

Although I have a Mac, I've not tried the IPSec client on it. I use
either PPTP or OpenVPN, and get very good performance with both.
Although I've recommended OpenVPN in the past, I have to withdraw
that recommendation since it's being dropped from the release code of
1.2.

Chris