[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Steve Yates <steve at teamITS dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Monitoring Total Bandwidth
 Date:  Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:38:46 -0500
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:45:01 -0400
Gary <gary at kryptic dash x dot com> wrote:

> there is another program out there that can poll m0n0 using SNMP and
> give those numbers.

	I've looked at this topic a bit.  My understanding (as a newbie)
is that m0n0wall by default only tallies total usage.  If you want a
per-IP breakdown and like MRTG see

http://wiki.m0n0.ch/wikka.php?wakka=HostTracking

Otherwise if you have an older Windows PC you can connect it using using
a hub to your firewall path...for instance on the LAN side of m0n0wall
if using NAT.  Then this app would work:

http://www.desksoft.com/BWMeter.htm

BWMeter also does bandwidth throttling however that part doesn't work
when used in this mode...only when installed on the server or
workstation, not a third PC monitoring traffic.  Not free, but only $30.
Looks similar to WallWatcher but there is no polling of m0n0wall, no
MRTG, and one can get totals and even per-port traffic breakdowns.

 - Steve Yates
 - Earthlings: Send more probes. The last one was delicious!

~ Taglines by Taglinator 4 - www.srtware.com ~