[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Steve Yates <steve at teamITS dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Traffic shaping
 Date:  Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:45:57 -0500
I have a slight grasp of pipes vs queues but I would like to
verify I am heading in the right direction.  The online manual is
rather...empty...in this area.

	My goal is to enable certain hosts to have bandwidth limits, for
example:

Host A - 256 kb
Host B - 512 kb
Host C - 1024 kb
Total bandwidth available - 1024 kb

I understand there are issues if all three are active, but let's pretend
for now Host C is not doing anything.  To limit the other two hosts, am
I right that I need to set up three pipes, one for each bandwidth level?
Then set up rules to have something like:

DNS/small packets - pipe C
traffic from Host A - pipe A
traffic from Host B - pipe B
traffic from Host C - pipe C

Any insight/advice?  Thanks...

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- Brains...BRAINS!  Fresh brai... oh, wrong conference, sorry.

~ Taglines by Taglinator 4 - www.srtware.com ~