[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Steve Yates <steve at teamITS dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Traffic shaping
 Date:  Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:24:08 -0500
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:02:15 +0500
sai <sonicsai at gmail dot com> wrote:

> Its generally better to have 2 pipes per host. One pipe for incoming,
> the other for outgoing traffic.

	I follow this; in my example below I was assuming there was an
incoming and outgoing pipe for each Host A/B/C, I just wrote it quickly.

>> DNS/small packets - pipe C [outgoing only]
>> traffic from Host A - pipe A
>> traffic from Host B - pipe B
>> traffic from Host C - pipe C

> If you want to use the spare bandwidth when a host is not getting much
> traffic then have 2 pipes one incoming , the other out going. Then add
> queues for each host.

	I'm not quite sure I understand you... are you saying that I
should have something like

traffic from Host A - queue A - pipe 1
traffic from Host B - queue B - pipe 1
traffic from Host C - queue C - pipe 1

Then, how can I limit bandwidth for, say, Host A?

 - Steve Yates
 - ITS, Inc.
 - I'm old enough to know better, but too young to care.

~ Taglines by Taglinator 4 - www.srtware.com ~