[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Marcellin" <canus at teksavvy dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  newbie question
 Date:  Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:24:59 -0400
Hi all;
i have a question which i'm sure has been asked a million times, however, i
haver thoroughly searched the mailing list for answers, and it sort of has
been answered, but, i just want to clarify, if that's ok
to start, i have a static ip coming in from my ISP, and i'm using PPPoE, as
well, i also have a subnet /30 coming in, but, on a different subnet, for
example:
205.x.137.117 : static ip address for the wan link
205.x.140.116 /30, my subnet
what i would like to do is this:
have a DNS which is using a public domain name example.com, web and mail
server and clients
after doing some research on monowall's maillist, i think i have come to the
conclusion that the best solution is a dmz which will have the DNS, mail and
web servers, and the lan hosting my clients
if you agree, please tell me so, or arguements
my next question is this:
if you agree on the dmz, should i use 1:1 nat for my servers, and i guess
that i would have to also do port forwarding for 80, 25, 110, 443, 53, 22
right? or firewall rules, or both (sorry, for asking so many questions) i
hope that i have explained my situation well enough, if not please tell me
if i'm missing something
Thanx
Chris Marcellin