[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Vince Van De Coevering <vpv at figaros dot com>
 Cc:  "'m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] newbie question
 Date:  Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:46:34 -0700

That may be true for ISPs that provide service in your area
But my ISP charges a per month per domain fee to host DNS.
To further their monopoly they refuse to follow the RFC for
Classless reverse addressing.

I host my own DNS for just that reason.

The Private Public DNS server model is another reason to
Host your own DNS.  In that model you set up a DNS server
That provides zone transfers to the DNS servers defined
As primary and secondary for your domain.  Any change you
Make will be sent up to these servers.  You don't have to
Worry about configuration inconsistencies between the two
Servers since they draw their info from the same source.

I use zones extensively in Bind.  I have a zone that provides
Answers to DNS questions in the safe side of the firewall
Using LAN addresses and another zone that answers requests
Using the public IP addresses for requests from the wild
Side of the firewall.

I guess it's a matter of preference...

Vince Van De Coevering
IT Manager