[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "carlos.rosario" <carlos dot rosario at netcabo dot pt>
 To:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] 2 Wireless Nodes Configuration
 Date:  Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:03:45 +0100
Hi Chris,

thank you for your reply.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Buechler [mailto:cbuechler at gmail dot com]
Sent: Wed 8/31/2005 6:28 PM
Cc: m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch

> Site B:
>
> Desktop PC (P3@500Mhz - 128MB RAM)
>
> LAN - fxp0
>
> WAN - ath0 (802.11a in IBSS mode connecting to Site A)
>
> OPT1 - ath1 (802.11g in Hostap mode bridged with LAN)
>
> OPT2 - ath2 (802.11g in Hostap mode bridged with LAN)
>
> Using m0n0wall 1.2b7.

just two comments.

1 - I wouldn't rely on an unmaintained old beta version for anything serious.

I just use 1.2b7 because because the lack of atheros support in newer versions of m0n0wall.
I also understand the reason why the developers left FreeBSD 5.x and I total agree with it. I tried
pfsense wich has has more options to control wireless interface in the GUI (Tx power control, G only
mode, etc) but I had to leave it since it got my WRAP crashed twince during the first day testing. I
also tried Voyage Linux and WifiBSD but they seem to be a bit imature at this stage and lack of Web
GUI administration.
M0n0wall was the one that worked better in terms of reliability and also because I've been using it
for over the past year as my firewall and realy like it.

2 - multiple wireless cards in one box is a very bad idea, if it would
even work at all.  See http://www.netgate.com/zz_faq.php#67
While it works for some, it's not guaranteed nor engineered to work
that way and if things go bad, you might not be able to fix it,

I have to not completely agree with you on this first because I have site A already UP and its
running quite well, i agree that's not the perfect setup, but works very well. Also netgate sells
kits like this and say "Powerful 802.11a/b/g system, with excellent throughput and flexibility for
best-in-class wireless deployments", guys at StarOS have a kit called WAR board with 4 radios like
this and been doing stable links over 80km with stable connection.

http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?products_id=156
http://www.staros.com/starvx/

-Chris