[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Marcellin" <canus at teksavvy dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  newbie question
 Date:  Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:14:18 -0400
hey all again;

wow, i'm very impressed with this board, you have all given great advice and
point of views.

i thank you.

the reason why i want to host my own dns servers is because i'm going to be
offering

web hosting, and it would be so much easier doing it myself, perhaps more
difficult in

the beginning setting it up, but in the end much easier in the sense of
having

to call my domain provider to keep on updating it and having to deal with
company

politics, and secondly because i get experience from it.

so, to get this straight, y'all agree in my idea of setting it up.

opt1/dmz for my servers using a private adress (192.168.1.1-254 for example)
using natting 1:1, and port forwarding 80,53 etc...

lan for workstations (192.168.2.1-254)

1 more question, perhaps a stupid one, although i don't believe a stupid
question exists

can i use the same switch that i'll be using on the lan, for example using
the lan and the opt1/dmz

on an unmanaged switch, in other words having 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1 on
the same switch, without vlan's, will

the switch pass packets through to the right pc's/server's, or do i need 2
switches, 1 for each network

Vince

I also run my own DNS on an ADSL link and I use a free secondary server:

http://www.twisted4life.com/index.php

and I'm pretty happy about it (for that price...)

Daniele