[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Steve Yates <steve at teamITS dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Bridging - can't ping
 Date:  Fri, 02 Sep 2005 14:07:16 -0500
On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 14:48:23 -0400
Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com> wrote:

> you have the OPT1 interface plugged into the same broadcast domain as
> the WAN?  Seems you have a network loop going on, which that would
> cause.

	Nope...here's a diagram:

[OPT1] -- [switch] -- [m0n0] -- [hub] -- [router] -- [Internet]
[LAN]------------------/

The m0n0wall PC has 3 NICs.  The hub exists solely because I have a PC
connected to the hub to monitor traffic levels (using BWMeter).  The LAN
interface is connected to another PC solely to configure m0n0wall.

	In this configuration m0n0wall is basically a transparent
firewall, and all PCs on OPT1 have Internet access.  Pinging to the
router from a PC shows no problems.  The only difficulty appears to be
pinging from m0n0wall.  If there was a loop wouldn't OPT1 <-> Internet
traffic be affected?

	Asked another way, "should" m0n0wall 1.2b9 have a WAN IP set up?
If not, then it cannot connect to an NTP server, it seems to me.  But,
with a WAN IP, it seems like it should be able to ping local PCs if the
connection is truly bridged.

 - Steve Yates
 - ITS, Inc.
 - One rm -rf / can ruin your whole day.