[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Aaron <lists at mycommunitynet dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Bridge wireless connection
 Date:  Thu, 1 Sep 2005 22:48:37 -0700
Hello all. I am looking to figure out how to use m0n0wall for this. I
had a linksys bridge that worked until it's radio stopped working.

What is going on is I have a wireless connection that I am trying to
make to my university. All of the APs are open and there is no WEP etc
on them. When you connect to the AP, it gives a 172.xx.xx.xx IP address
that is only good for getting to a VPN server. Then you have to
establish a VPN connection in order to get to the internet.

When I used the linksys bridge, I could associate, plug my laptop into
the ethernet port, and then establish a PPTP connection. It worked
fine.

I am trying to duplicate the same thing with a Soekris 4801 with a
netgear PCI card. If I assign the wireless, (in BSS mode) to the WAN
and set it to DHCP, it gets an IP, gateway and dns servers. My computer
can be plugged into the LAN port and can ping the external IP of the
monowall, but neither monowall or the laptop can ping the gateway.

I tried setting this to bridge the WAN to opt1, but it says that it can
only bridge in hostap mode.

So, what would I have to do to get this to work?

Thanks!
Aaron