[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Steve Yates <steve at teamITS dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Bridging - can't ping
 Date:  Fri, 02 Sep 2005 14:43:58 -0500
On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 15:18:43 -0400
Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com> wrote:

> > The LAN
> > interface is connected to another PC solely to configure m0n0wall.
>
> with a crossover cable, I presume?

	No, sorry, there is a mini 5 port hub in the middle.

> >         Asked another way, "should" m0n0wall 1.2b9 have a WAN IP set up?
>
> yes

	Does that mean m0n0wall can't be a "true" transparent firewall?

> yeah, I just tested one of my bridged m0n0walls, 1.2b9, nothing on the
> LAN interface, and I can ping from m0n0wall to hosts on the bridged
> interface as well as hosts on the Internet.  I never saw any duplicate

	I appreciate the effort.  Hmm.  And I can't remember if I tried
pinging when I had 1.11 running.  I don't think so because I had to
remove the WAN IP from the config file to get bridging to work as I
recall (on a suggestion from this list).

> You mentioned 10.x.x.x in passing earlier, IIRC, what's the WAN
> interface's IP and gateway?  Private IP space?  If so, what's NAT'ing
> it?  What is the router in the picture?

router - DLink router, with its LAN IP set to 10.0.0.1
WAN - 10.0.0.3, gateway 10.0.0.1
OPT1 - no IP (bridged to WAN)
LAN - 192.168.1.2

PCs on OPT1 are 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.4+.  Traffic from the PCs to the
Internet works fine.

 - Steve Yates
 - ITS, Inc.
 - Illiterate?  Write for FREE HELP!