[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Seth Martin" <SethM at turbinegenerator dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Anyone Using Verizon EVDO with m0n0wall?
 Date:  Sat, 3 Sep 2005 13:12:53 -0400
It, under full strength signal will give you 1meg down, HOWEVER it has
about 500+ms of latency.  We have about half a dozen of these cards we
us them for our field laptops.  They work great for what we do which is
a background process that runs a database sync, latency isn't a issue
bandwith is.  If you need better response look at maybe a shotgun modem
setup.  Also you could look at 2 way satellite.  I went to Sprints EVDO
conference and the speeds IIRC were 1.1meg down and 256k up, when the
next evdo rev comes out it will be a full 1.5down and up.  Anyways I'm
not sure if they are out for evdo but I know you can get trunk mount
style CDMA receivers, which is what most cops use. They support an
external antenna (you need a good 5 bar signal, the more bars the less
error checking it does and thus the more packets you will push).  Also
check out www.digitalantenna.com they make amplifiers and repeaters.  We
use them in our office trailers. We work on turbine generators which are
usually 50+ miles from the city so signal is very weak, with one of
those in place we go from 1bar on the cell phone to 4-5.  If you have
more questions feel free to email me.  We work with a lot of cellular
products because of the travel in our company.  Don't listen to people
that say it slower than dialup, its just lag that make sit seem slow,
download  a 4 meg file on it and after the first 2 seconds it takes for
the connection to negotiate it'll download at 30-50kb/sec.  Do that on a
modem.

-Seth