[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Quark IT - Hilton Travis" <Hilton at quarkit dot com dot au>
 To:  "Tom Valdes" <Tom dot Valdes at soa dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] uPNP in future versions? or how can I do this?
 Date:  Sun, 4 Sep 2005 09:15:59 +1000
Hi Tom,

God no!  UPnP is a security night-terror waiting to happen.  When a
hacker with an IQ in double digits starts to look at how reminiscent of
a sieve UPnP is, they will have a field day.  There is NO way to protect
a security device that implements UPnP.

> I am pretty sure I know the risks, but this is what I'm
> trying to do, so what is the right way to do it?

If you knew the risks, you'd not be asking for this on a security
device.  So, the right way to do it is not to do it at all.

> I have a game system that needs ports forwarded to it, but each game
> needs different ports.

Then forward the needed ports.

> I could put it in a DMZ, but I have a cable modem with one dynamic IP
> address, so I can't simply forward all ports for one address to the
> machine in the DMZ.
>
> From what I understand, I need uPNP.  Is there another way to do this?

With port forwards.

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                          Phone: +61 (0)7 3344 3889