[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  Dr Who <brokenby2703 at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Where M0N0 stores...
 Date:  Mon, 5 Sep 2005 11:02:00 -0400
On 9/5/05, Dave Warren <MailList at devilsplayground dot net> wrote:

> > I saw some people using CF as boot device, others using the CDROM.
> > Is there any difference/recommendation ?

I agree with Warren about personal preference. I have tried HD, CDROM, and
CF on a pc workstation, But I prefer CF's.

I can still temporarily upgrade to another CDROM iso.
HD's generate heat and noise.
Floppy drives can crap out for no reason.
CF is quite, no moving parts to fail, consumes virtually no power.

My home router is a HP Brio celeron 500 with 128mb CF memory card. I took
the HD out, but left the CDROM and Floppy physically installed, but not
connected to the Motherboard. The only component generating heat is the
powersupply. It boots very fast. I am happy with my setup

- Don