[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 To:  don dot munyak at gmail dot com
 Cc:  Dr Who <brokenby2703 at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Where M0N0 stores...
 Date:  Mon, 05 Sep 2005 14:50:01 -0600
Don Munyak wrote:

>On 9/5/05, Dave Warren <MailList at devilsplayground dot net> wrote:
>

>>>I saw some people using CF as boot device, others using the CDROM.
>>>Is there any difference/recommendation ?
>>>

>I agree with Warren about personal preference. I have tried HD, CDROM, and
>CF on a pc workstation, But I prefer CF's.
>
>I can still temporarily upgrade to another CDROM iso.
>HD's generate heat and noise.
>Floppy drives can crap out for no reason.
>CF is quite, no moving parts to fail, consumes virtually no power.

HDs can power down when not in use, but the power-up/power-down cycle
causes additional wear and tear (okay, actually the heat-up/cool-down
cycle).  However, old/small hard drives are a dime a dozen (not that CF
cards are expensive, they're just less common), so again, it's personal
preference.

Myself, I'm leaning towards no-moving-parts, but I'm still using the
CD/floppy at the moment.

One thing I'd love to see would be an automatic backup of m0n0wall's XML
to the floppy on shutdown, plus an option in the GUI+console that would
restore the XML from floppy.  In addition, on the initial bootup if
there is no XML file already in place, m0n0wall would automatically
restore the file from floppy.

This would create a quick and easy disaster recovery, without having to
use the console or web interface just to get up and running.

--
It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.