[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tobias Wolf <towolf at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  What pipe size is correct: official or estimated?
 Date:  Tue, 6 Sep 2005 14:07:03 +0200
Salve,

today I figured that my DSL pipe didn't become get faster despite my
recent upgrade from 2mbit/256kbit to 3mbit/512kbit because i forgot to
adjust the pipes in the shaper.

I was about to just go ahead and enter 0.95 * 3000 and 0.95 * 512,
when it occured to me to check with by backup SMC ADSL wireless router
that polls its own modem for DSL statistics. What I found were
diverging stats. I also used speedmeter.nl to test end-user speed. See
below

              | official  | SMC    | estimated by
              | contract  | report | own testing
              |           |        |
Upstream      | 512       | 448    | 364
Downstream    | 3000      | 3456   | 3320

I need the shaper to be effective, but when I enter 512 into the
upstream pipe it will saturate if the SMC and my tests are correct,
right?

Also, downstream is really faster than 3000, what do I set the
downstream pipe to?

These puzzle me. I guess guess I should check with my ISP Arcor why
the upstream down't match with our deal.

- Tobias