[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  "'Tobias Wolf'" <towolf at gmail dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] What pipe size is correct: official or estimated?
 Date:  Tue, 6 Sep 2005 13:17:18 +0100
> I need the shaper to be effective, but when I enter 512 into
> the upstream pipe it will saturate if the SMC and my tests
> are correct, right?

Use your own real-world measurements.

> Also, downstream is really faster than 3000, what do I set
> the downstream pipe to?

As above. If your downstream is consistently what you measure it as being,
then use that figure.

FWIW, my readings here in the UK are as follows:
                       | official  | modem | adslguide.org.uk test
Upstream      | 256        | 288       | 241
Downstream | 1024      | 1152     | 960

Make sure you run tests fairly regularly with traffic shaping disabled to
make sure your up/down pipes are a worst-case figure (some contended
connections are noticably slower at around 4pm when the kids come home from
school, for example).

Regards,

Chris