[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Allgeyer <allgeyer at web dot de>
 To:  Seth Martin <SethM at turbinegenerator dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] OpenVNP
 Date:  Tue, 06 Sep 2005 18:29:16 +0200
Hi Martin!

Am Dienstag, den 06.09.2005, 12:04 -0400 schrieb Seth Martin:
> Since Open VPN has been a big area of focus it seems in getting it full
> functionally for 1.2 would it be too much to ask if someone could see
> about compiling in support for compression into the build.

This is from an email from Peter Curran the author of the original code:

>Am Montag, den 05.09.2005, 10:25 +0100 schrieb Peter Curran:
> >I ran configure with the no-lzo option (because I did not want to add in
> >a further lib to m0n0).

liblzo.so.1.0.0 is about 115k on my Linux system, so I totally agree
with Peter. There's an alternative called minilzo, with which I will
play a little bit (eventually).

> I'm not sure the overhead it may require I just know it may be useful
> for people on slower connections to give them a little extra oomph...
Do you have any benchmarks? Compressing encrypted traffic usually
doesn't give you much more performance on slower connections. I'm
assuming to link OpenVPN against zlib, which is 4-5 times slower but may
give more than 30% better compression. zlib is part of m0n0wall. I'm not
aware of any OpenVPN code ready to use with zlib, altough there's a
discussion about it.

Ciao ...

 copyleft(c) by |           pos += screamnext pos  /* does this goof up
 Peter Allgeyer |   _-_     anywhere? */  -- Larry Wall in util.c from