[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Allgeyer <allgeyer at web dot de>
 To:  Joao Alexandre <jalexandre1964 at yahoo dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall 1.2b9, PPPOE problems.
 Date:  Wed, 07 Sep 2005 10:57:19 +0200
Am Mittwoch, den 07.09.2005, 00:24 -0700 schrieb Joao Alexandre:
> I'm a little bit green on m0n0wall, how do I acomplish
> this?
It's easy: First allow DNS server list to be overridden by DHCP/PPP on
WAN. Next, go to http://<your-m0n0-ip>/exec.php and just download the
file to your harddisk. Edit it with an editor and upload it again.
Afterwards you have to copy the file  from /tmp to /var/etc typing in
the following to the "Command:" text field (w/o the "Command:" prompt):

Command: cp /tmp/mpd.conf /var/etc/mpd.conf"

Afterwards you have to kill the running mpd process and restart it by
hand: Go to http://<your-m0n0-ip>/exec.php and type in the following to
the "Command:" text field:

Command: ps wax

Look for a line like this one:
   71  ??  Ss     1:06.21  /usr/local/sbin/mpd -b -d /var/etc
-p /var/run/mpd.pid pppoe

The first integer is the process number to kill:

Command: kill 71

Next restart it:

Command: /usr/local/sbin/mpd -b -d /var/etc -p /var/run/mpd.pid pppoe

If this is to hard for you, I can make a new image for you to play with.

> What does this do?
mpd.conf is the one of the configuration files for PPPoE. Removing the
line will (hopefully) tell the mpd process to not ask your ISP for a
second DNS server.

>  Survives a reboot?
No, but I does help us to understand what mpd does. With this
information we are able to write a bugfix. I'm not surem, if it is worth
it, because any ISP should provide you with at most two DNS servers.

Ciao ...

 copyleft(c) by |   _-_     Not only Guinness - Linux is good for you,
 Peter Allgeyer | 0(o_o)0   too.  -- Banzai on IRC