[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  mattias dot bergander at gmail dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Driver available in freebsd 5.3 but not in m0n0wall 1.2b7
 Date:  Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:48:44 -0400
On 9/6/05, Mattias Bergander <mattias dot bergander at gmail dot com> wrote:
> Hello there,
>  I'm currently testing out a VIA EPIA M6000 fanless board with m0n0wall. I
> added a second network card and of course this was an unsupported dlink 528t
> gigabit NIC (realtek 8169 chip) which is on the HCL for freebsd 5.3 but not
> 4.9. Therefore I tested with 1.2b7 and although there the card isn't
> reported as unknown but instead along with "(no driver attached)". I'm
> guessing that the driver is not included in that m0n0wall release then.

It's not.  I wouldn't use 1.2b7 in a production environment,
regardless.  If you need something that isn't supported, you'll have
to look elsewhere.

On the other poster's comment, not sure about that card in particular,
but I've yet to see anything decent out of Realtek.  It takes 3-5
times as much CPU to get 100 Mb through their lousy 10/100 NIC's as it
does through a good NIC, I'm sure performance is also dismal on the
gig cards.

-Chris