[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 To:  Vince Van De Coevering <vpv at figaros dot com>
 Cc:  "'m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Excellent (and affordable) m0n0 platform
 Date:  Wed, 07 Sep 2005 22:28:04 -0400
Vince Van De Coevering wrote:

>The intrusion.com PDS 2100 series of appliances make an excellent and
>affordable m0n0 platform.
>
>There are several on ebay and I just purchased 2 for $9.95 each.
>http://cgi.ebay.com/Intrusion-PDS2300-Firewall-Router-Warranty_W0QQitemZ5800
>792840QQcategoryZ51168QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
>The one gotcha with these devices is that they don't have video cards (they
>use a serial port instead) so you have to connect a PC to the LAN interface
>and use a web browser to configure them.  Or you can customize the kernel to
>use the serial console.
>
>Most come with 3 10/100 ports, 2 USB ports, Celeron 600 CPU and 64 or 128
>megs of ram (can replace the DIMM to increase size).
>They have a CF slot for booting and some include 10 meg SFF (laptop sized)
>hard drives.
>

>Vince Van De Coevering
>IT Manager
>Figaro's Italian Pizza, Inc.
>503-371-9318 x216
>vpv at figaros dot com

Vince,

Have you, or do you know anyone who has modified the kernel to be able
to use the serial console with this unit?  I'm confused at how you would
use the LAN interface to configure the router since the generic version
requires you to first assign that NIC.  Did you modify the XML file to
designate the LAN NIC ahead of the original boot maybe?

FYI, I have one of these coming to me.  Wanted to try it out, although
none were to be found as cheap as you bought them.  I paid $31 on Ebay.

Thanks.

Chris