[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Two WAN interfaces?
 Date:  Thu, 8 Sep 2005 23:50:29 -0400
On 9/8/05, Chris Mason (Lists) <lists at masonc dot com> wrote:
> I have connected the Cable TV feed to WAN2 and gave it the IP
> 204.14.aaa.123/24
> I entered a static route of
>     WAN2
>     network 204.14.aaa.0/24
>     gateway 204.14.aaa.1
> Using the diagnostics page I can ping 204.14.aaa.1

never add static routes (on any device) to directly connected
networks, they're unnecessary.

What you need to do for this very primitive second WAN to work is add
routes for networks you want to direct over the second WAN.  This is
why this is completely useless in most situations, because you can't
direct by protocol or anything other than destination network.  If you
have, say, a VoIP provider and want to route everything to their
subnet over one connection, this should work fine.  Otherwise unless
you have something similar, this will be of no use.

-Chris