[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bruce Pimenta" <bruce dot pimenta at palindrom dot ch>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Transparent Proxy with m0n0wall
 Date:  Fri, 09 Sep 2005 11:19:59 +0200
Hi Rino

Maybe there is a possible way, how to make monowall a transparent proxy, if it is just for the
firewall rules. As you can enable "filtering bridge" and bridge an optional interface with the WAN
interface, this would be nearly the goal. As I tested this, the only way that the traffic was
bridged, was that the WAN interface needs to have an IP address in the same subnet, where its
connected to, but thats mostly not what you want, as you might need all IPs and therefore wanted a
transparent proxy.
I had following idea, but not shure if that would cause any troubles on the network:
Set the IP of the WAN interface statically to the broadcast IP. Seems to be weird, but even on Linux
you can set an interface IP to the broadcast or network IP.
As monowall doesn't need to communicate with its IP in bridging mode, there wont be any packets with
the broadcast ip as sender. Even the arp requests are handled by the participants on the optional
interface and there wont be anybody who will send arp requests to the broadcast IP.

Best regards
Bruce