[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 To:  RC_GMAIL <reconrad at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Monowall basic problem
 Date:  Fri, 9 Sep 2005 08:42:09 -0400
> The monowall LAN config is as follows:
>
> LAN IP 192.168.0.1 <http://192.168.0.1>
> LAN range is 192.168.0.2----192.168.0.10.

In m0n0wall, set the DHCP LAN range to 192.168.0.50 <http://192.168.0.50>---
192.168.0.75 <http://192.168.0.75>. This range is arbitary, but needs "NOT"
to include the IP from the netgeat switch.

Once switching over to the monowall, everything is power cycled to avoid any
> MAC conflicts.

I would turn everything off and wait 5 minutes. Then turn the dsl modem
on...wait 3 minutes. Then turn on m0n0wall...wait about a minute. Then your
netgear and workstation.

So everything is setup the way it should be, however I can not access the
> internet lol. I can access the LAN through any client node but no
> internet.
> When accessing the WAN logs in monowall, it doesn't receive dhcp
> information...e.g. ISP IP, DNS IPs etc and goes into sleep.

Since you can get to the m0n0wall web page, also look at Status >
Interfaces. If the WAN interface IP is blank, WAN DHCP is not working. You
may have the wrong cable between m0n0wall and cable modem. Some use
cross-over. Some use standard CAT-5. Read the docs for CM or just make up a
different cable and test manually.

When I do a ipconfig /all on a client node, it renders back that monowall is
> indeed the default gateway 192.168.0.1 <http://192.168.0.1>. It is not
> rendering back the netgear
> as the default gateway which would be 192.168.0.3 <http://192.168.0.3>. So
> the client is able to
> ping the monowall and access it's webGUI admin setup.

When reading ipconfig/all, should have m0n0wall as gw and dns

The ONLY thing I haven't done yet is turn off RIP in the netgear router and
> I haven't added anything to the DMZ in the netgear.

Turn off RIP. You don't need it.

As far as port forwarding in monowall, I just set it everything (all
> clients) to be able to access port 80 (http) and it should be visa versa.
> Which shouldn't have anything to do with monowall wan dhcp. However, that
> is
> ALL I have setup for port forwarding.

Before you mess with port forwarding, I would leave the initially setting
alone. in the default setup, m0n0wall allows outbound, everything from the
LAN and blocks inbound all traffic, except that which originated from the
LAN initially.

summary....look at the cable first

- Don