[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Multiple client side PPTP VPN tunnels to same destination not possible
 Date:  Fri, 9 Sep 2005 10:14:50 -0400
On 9/9/05, Alexandersen Henrik <henrik dot alexandersen at danfoss dot com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> A co-worker and me often work from my home. We both need a PPTP VPN
> tunnel to our corporate network.
>
> Problem:
>
> Only one PPTP VPN tunnel can be made to the same destination. We usually
> overcome this by one of us tunneling through another destination, then
> to the desired destination.
>
> This is a very annoying limitation. I had the same problem with
> SmoothWall and hoped for this to be different with m0n0wall, but
> aparently it is a fundamental limitation with Linux and FreeBSD.

It's a fundamental limitation in the PPTP protocol, in that it isn't
NAT friendly, not either of the above.  The fix is to either not NAT
(all public IP's), or use a PPTP proxy of some sort on your firewall.
There are such things for FreeBSD, but m0n0wall doesn't use any at
this point.  Maybe in 1.3, but definitely won't see one in 1.2.

-Chris