[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  RC_GMAIL <reconrad at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Monowall Basic Problem
 Date:  Sat, 10 Sep 2005 09:17:08 +0100
Hi,

>Yes when I just use the netgear router with the westell modem, I get an
>internet connection and the netgear doesn't have a problem getting an
>IP from the ISP.
>
>Well, as far as accidentally mixing up the nic connections, that is
>next to impossible and be able to access the monowall webgui :)
>The 3com (LAN) nic is xl0 and the Kingston (WAN) is rl0. When assigning
>the nics, I only plugged in the LAN when it asked for it...3com (xl0).
>When it asked for the WAN, I plugged the Ethernet cable into the
>Kingston(rl0) and let it finish up. But yea I know what you mean,
>sometimes you have to go back to the basics when troubleshooting.
>Thanks
>

>As I am continuing troubleshooting, I can't help but thinking I have a
>MAC conflict issue but I don't know how. I remember back a few weeks
>ago that smoothwall didn't obtain an IP from my ISP either.

Couple things I can think of:

1) I've had it where the link light on my dual-port Compaq NIC is on but
it doesn't function.  Going to http(s)://192.168.0.1/status.php resolves
it.  When ipconfig -a is executed the NIC bursts into life.

2) If you've set m0n0wall up with the same IP address as the Netgear,
there may be a stale entry in the ARP cache on your cable modem.  Try
either getting m0n0wall to spoof the MAC address of your Netgear or
resetting the cable modem (maybe having to leave it off for a reasonable
duration.

HTH,

                                Neil.

--
Neil A. Hillard                E-Mail:   neil at dana dot org dot uk
                               Web:      http://www.dana.org.uk/