[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Routing multiple IP blocks
 Date:  Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:07:07 -0400
On 9/12/05, Steve Yates <steve at teamits dot com> wrote:
>        I have read the FAQ (13.14) on multiple subnets but I am still
> not clear about the answer.  If we were to have two public subnets
> (subnet1 and subnet2) and want to have something like:
>
> [ Internet ]
> [ m0n0wall WAN = IP from subnet1 ]
> [ m0n0wall OPT1 = bridged to WAN ]
> [ subnet1 or subnet 2 ]
>
> If I am reading it correctly, according to the FAQ this will work
> without proxy ARP

That's correct, because you're bridging.  Bridging carries ARP between
the interfaces, so you don't need proxy ARP.  If you're routing or
NAT'ing, nothing below layer 3 gets past m0n0wall's WAN interface (ARP
is L2).  In the case of routing, unless your ISP is specifically
routing your public IP subnet to your WAN IP address, you will need
proxy ARP.

-Chris