[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Steve Yates <steve at teamITS dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Routing multiple IP blocks
 Date:  Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:34:29 -0500
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 20:07:07 -0400
Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com> wrote:

> That's correct, because you're bridging.  Bridging carries ARP between
> the interfaces, so you don't need proxy ARP.  If you're routing or
> NAT'ing, nothing below layer 3 gets past m0n0wall's WAN interface (ARP
> is L2).  In the case of routing, unless your ISP is specifically
> routing your public IP subnet to your WAN IP address, you will need
> proxy ARP.

	Okay (drumming fingers), let me redraw my diagram to make sure I'm
asking the right question.  :)

[ Internet ]  [ Internet ]
     |               |
[ router1 ]   [ router2 ]
     |               |
     --------------

[ m0n0wall WAN = IP from subnet1 ]
[ m0n0wall OPT1 = bridged to WAN ]

[ subnet1 or subnet 2 ]

Where router1 = subnet1, router2 = subnet2.  I'm not looking for load
balancing or anything, just thinking through the possibilities of using one
m0n0wall instead of two.

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- If you only have a nail every tool looks like a hammer.

~ Taglines by Taglinator - www.srtware.com ~