[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VPN Harware Question
 Date:  Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:09:45 -0400
On 9/13/05, Lee Saferite <lee dot saferite at speedysigns dot com> wrote:
> Thanks for the info, too bad the market doesn't have more competition
> and variety.
>
> I guess my problem with soekris is (me) being too lazy to actually want
> to call them.  I tried doing an order online and it was horrible.
> Someone should build them an online store. =)

no doubt.

> At what point would it be wise to start using a hardware VPN card?  How
> many clients, How much bandwidth?

In a WRAP, I'd probably use one if I consistently needed more than 3-4
Mb of IPsec throughput.  How many clients that would take depends
entirely on what they use the VPN connection for, what kind of
Internet connection they have, etc.  One broadband user could
potentially chew up 4 Mb, while it would take more than 70 dial up
users to do so.  If you regularly had 50+ simultaneous VPN users for
extended periods, I'd probably also use one in that case regardless of
throughput.

These are just numbers I'm pulling off the top of my head though, this
could vary greatly from one environment to another.

-Chris