[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jeroen Visser" <monowall at forty dash two dot nl>
 To:  don dot munyak at gmail dot com, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] CF to IDE reader.
 Date:  Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:32:21 +0200
> Does the system recognize the drive at boot ? ie..BIOS
> I am using a similiar device from same manufacturer, except mine
> doesn't use ribbon cable. Mine plugs right in IDE slot.

Hi list and Don,

My experience with booting from Flash cards in an IDE to Flash converter, is that
the convertors do not differ much.

BUT !
I found that the type of CF card used, differs a WHOLE LOT !
I've tried a lot of cards for a larger project I'm involved with and found out
that the Hitachi CF cards (Yes Kingston uses these, but they also use Samsung
cards) do NOT boot at all or do not boot correctly. The samsung cards however DO
boot correctly.

The chipset type can be read from the bios post message.

if (CFTYPE == Hitachi) {
   action = "Goto Trashbin and kick Hardware Supplier."
}

So it's not so much the brand of IDE to CF converter but the brand of CF card.

Little warning here, the outside of the CF card usually does NOT mention the
manufactorer of the chip inside, and that's the important thing.

--
Kind Regards,
Jeroen Visser.