[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Steve Yates <steve at teamITS dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Are TCP DNS queries possible?
 Date:  Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:40:21 -0500
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:32:04 +0100
"Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk> wrote:

> RFC1035 states:
> > While virtual circuits can be used for any DNS activity, datagrams are
> > preferred for queries due to their lower overhead and better
> > performance.
> Which is obviously why M$ chose TCP over UDP - nice, thanks Bill.

	He he, I didn't READ the RFCs, I just quoted the technote.  :)  I
think Microsoft's point was that a big MX record might be "too big" for
UDP.

	The original poster should also make sure that TCP port 53 is
not blocked on the relevant firewall rules pages.

 - Steve Yates
 - ITS, Inc.
 - PARODY ERROR:  Cannot locate file WEIRD_AL.EXE

~ Taglines by Taglinator 4 - www.srtware.com ~