[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Roman Yashin <romany at sseriga dot edu dot lv>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  DMZ, bridging or routable subnet?
 Date:  Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:22:17 +0300
Based on what read in the docs and some of Manuel's posts to the list,
seems like having a routable subnet for DMZ is NOT a good idea, or am I
missing something here?

I wonder what is the theory behind this. Why using proxy ARP or
bridging is better/cleaner? There is LAN <> DMZ issues for bridged
interfaces, and I always thought that proxy ARP should be used as a
last resort.

I have been using spilt subnets (routable IPs for DMZ) for a few years
with a custom FreeBSD+IPFilter+NAT box, and didn't really have any
problems.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Cheers,

Roman