[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] installing m0nowall on usb stick, without bios usb boot support
 Date:  Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:44:26 -0500
sander kerkhoff wrote:
> does anyone know if i can still boot from a usb stick, when theres no
> support for booting from usb in the bios?
> I am having an asus p2b, that i want to convert to router, without hd,
> so its nice and quiet

If your bois does not allow booting from USB you will probably not be
able to boot from a ***USB STICK*** ;-) Maybe look for a updated bios
for the board?

You can try anyway, but it may be an exercise in futility... Try
something like RUNT (http://www.ncsu.edu/project/runt/)

I would encourage an IDE CF reader over a USB stick. A vandal would have
to open the case to remove the CF - USB stick would be hanging out the
back of the system. (assume rear USB ports...)

James W. McKeand