[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Some questions on m0n0wall
 Date:  Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:30:50 -0400
On 9/10/05, Sandro Kehrlein <sandro at kehrlein dot de> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i've some questions about m0n0wall. i hope that they aren't so bad....
>
> - i have an external access point and like to put it on the
> opt1-interface to secure the network. what have i to do to secure the
> connection with vpn? do i need openvpn? i've read that openvpn is only
> available in the beta-version. when will there be a stable version with
> openvpn? or can i use the beta-version without any problems?

You can use IPsec or PPTP, and maybe OpenVPN, though I believe it
still messes up your OPT interfaces.  I'd go with IPsec or PPTP.

> - is it possible to take m0n0wall only for a lan-lan or lan-wlan
> connection without wan?

yeah, if you hook your LAN into the WAN port so it's the port with the
default gateway.

> - which pci and which pc-cards (pcmcia) can i use with m0n0wall?

I wouldn't touch any PC cards due to difficulties spelled out in the
FAQ.  Most any PCI cards work (assuming you're talking about Ethernet
cards).

> - is there a function to filter by mac-adresses, so that only specific
> nics are allowed to connect to the wan?

see the FAQ

> - can i use a mips processor like cobalt raq oder qube with m0n0wall?

no, x86 only

-Chris