[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Beta 1.2b10
 Date:  Fri, 16 Sep 2005 18:51:32 -0400
On 9/16/05, Peter Allgeyer <allgeyer at web dot de> wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 16.09.2005, 12:17 -0400 schrieb Chris Buechler:
> > i.e. if your company's AD domain is example.com, and your Windows
> > Server DNS server is 192.168.1.2, you could tell m0n0wall to foward
> > all DNS requests for *.example.com to 192.168.1.2 rather than the
> > default DNS server which is typically your ISP's.
>
> And only useful, if m0n0wall is used as the DHCP Server instead of the
> AD, which in this case should be the recommended one.

Not necessarily.  I have a number of installs in small networks where
there is only one server (MS Small Business Server typically) where
the server is the DHCP server and with this I can list m0n0wall as the
secondary DNS server and not worry about AD resolution issues if the
Windows clients decide to get stupid and query secondary DNS before
primary for whatever reason.  Then you also have redundancy in DNS, so
if you lose your server you don't lose your Internet at least (until
your DHCP lease expires or you reboot, though in a pinch you could
move DHCP over to m0n0 quickly and easily)

-Chris