[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "PF: m0n0wall" <m0n0wall at in dash genius dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] DHCP Settings
 Date:  Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:17:53 -0700

If you are running a Windows Active Directory, you are going to
eventually run in to a situation where you NEED the Windows DNS working
properly or things are going to get hosed.  Windows 2000/2003/XP and
active directory are very dependent on DNS working properly for the
machines that are on the network (i.e.. Servers and workstations need
DNS entries.) For example, if you try and add a machine to the domain
and it can't resolve the AD servers DNS name, it won't fly.

I run several Windows networks and never have had any issues with
Windows 2000/2003 DNS servers crashing or being unavailable.  Something
is wrong with your setup if this is happening.

As another poster mentioned, the best idea is to use the AD DNS for your
Windows machines and have the AD DNS servers use m0n0wall as the DNS
forwarder.

OK, let the flame war commence.

-Kevin