[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jay Binks" <Jay dot Binks at safeworld dot net dot au>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  [m0n0wall] DHCP Settings
 Date:  Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:15:23 +1000
I guess I was probably over the top saying that its up and down like a
yo yo..

But it does seem very strange that you would have to have your 2k3
server

Be the DHCP / DNS server just because your running a domain

(don't think we are using AD on it - I don't admin this box...)

But from what I read here, it seems that its going to be simplest to set
the 2k3 server

As the DHCP Server for the network and let it do whatever it does.

However I was trying to avoid loosing internet connection, just because
the 2k3 server

Is down.  I assume it sets its self as the default route for the network
also if it does DHCP ?

(I guess it tries to filter traffic or something)

This is how my network looks

Internet .....

MONO   ( Static wan address  -   192.168.10.1 lan IP address)

SWITCH   ----    2k3   (  192.168.10.100  )

Desktops  ( 192.168.10.200 - 250 - DHCP Assigned )

With this setup the sk3 server is not in the way of our internet access

If it goes down we loose the file shares and exchange..

But in this case I need Monowall to tell the desktop machines to use
192.168.10.100 as the

DNS Server.. .rather than using  192.168.10.1 as it does.

Now If I set the DNS Servers (on the general page) to 192.168.10.100
that should tell the

DHCP Clients to use 192.168.10.100 for dns..

And 192.168.10.1 for secondary DNS..

But what happens then for DNS resolution.... Monowall dosnt know any
other DNS Servers to use for its resolution !

Im stuck again relying on the 2k3 server..

The hacking that I said I have done is simply to include on the DHCP
Page

The ability to set what DNS Servers are sent to  DHCP  clients.

As far as I can see , this would fix the problems ?

am I mistaken ??

Jay Binks