[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Static DHCP - MAC Mapping
 Date:  Tue, 24 Jun 2003 16:11:25 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Alexandre Gambati wrote:

>   The m0n0wall p12 do Static DHCP mapping.  Can i assing MAC adresses to
> specific ip's in order to limit access to network resources?  Users "Not
> mapped MAC adress" will be able to access network resources like i-net
> connection by manual setting of gateway, dns, etc?
>
>   There's another way to limit user access by a MAC adress based rule?
>
>   I'm thinking of it, due the fragility of WEP feature of WLAN.

You're right to be concerned about WEP, although MAC-based filtering is
only a marginal improvement since the MAC address is spoofable.  Trying to
use DHCP to turn IP filtering into MAC filtering is even less useful,
since one can always get around that with a static config.  Filtering
within the WiFi driver would make more sense, but I don't know if it does
that.

					Fred Wright