[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "John Voigt" <geeker at jvoigt dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Asymmetric traffic shaping
 Date:  Sat, 28 Jun 2003 21:52:44 -0400
Fred:

All that theory is very nice but I am a pragmatist that lives in the real
world.  I have personal, practical experience that asymmetric bandwidth
shaping does work and solves the hidden node problem.  Here's a link to the
device I am currently using:

http://www.ydi.com/products/bcu.php

I assure you that it will solve the problem I described.   Perhaps they are
hacking TCP headers and messing with window sizes.  Perhaps they are
invoking some layer 2 magic to control bandwidth. Whatever they are doing,
it works but it's just too expensive to deploy widely.  I'm not a professor
of anything but I have a sniffer and all the other tools I need and I will
figure it out.

Oh yes - I did get my caps lock stuck and type KB when I meant kb.  Sorry
about that - I guess I need to proofread better. 512kb down 64kb up

Thanks again for your input,

John Voigt, President

Reston Wireless, LLC
High speed internet service