[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Speedtouch ADSL modems
 Date:  Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:17:23 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Manuel Kasper wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Fred Wright wrote:
>
> > Don't you mean PPTP?  AFAIK the STs don't support PPPoE, which is too bad
> > since it would avoid the client/server PPTP conflict that another user is
>
> Yes, sorry, I confused them again. ;)

Actually, from the SpeedTouch website, it appears that the newer models
*do* support PPPoE, although I'm not sure that's an available firmware
upgrade for the older ones.

BTW, regarding the PPTP conflict, from what I could tell from the limited
MPD docs available on the net, it looks like it *is* trying to support
both incoming and outgoing PPTP sessions, hence the listener on port 1723.
So there's probably some way to configure one instance of the PPTP module
for both uses.  If not, there may be a way to disable the incoming side on
the client instance.

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Frans J King wrote:

> Sorry I seem to have confused some people - I'm not talking about PPTP
> tunnels but Point to Point dial-up ADSL. To connect to my ISP I use a
> SpeedTouch 330 ADSL modem. This is connected to USB. There exists both

AFAIK the USB looks like an Ethernet NIC to the host, which means that in
order to relay PPPoA, you need some means of tunneling the PPP over
Ethernet, which traditionally meant PPTP, though it appears that PPPoE can
also be used nowadays.  So you *are* talking about tunnels, even if you
don't know it. :-)

If the USB interface looked like a serial port, that would make the PPPoA
relay case simpler, but it would make the bridging case more difficult (if
not impossible).

> for Linux and BSD a user mode driver that handles all the PPP over ATM
> stuff through PPP. I was wondering how difficult it would be to modify
> m0n0wall to install PPP and also the Speedtouch driver and whether
> m0n0wall would then recognize the interface.

M0n0wall already has PPP support, and there's no need for a "SpeedTouch
driver".  The issue is USB support.  Unless your PC is out of slots, you
could add a $10 NIC to hook up the modem.

					Fred Wright