[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Manuel Kasper" <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  "Fred Wright" <fw at well dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall + net4501 keeps rebooting
 Date:  Wed, 31 Dec 2003 08:19:12 +0100 (CET)
Fred Wright said:
> I presume the HZ increase was only in that version, since the current
> version seems to have 250.  Cranking it up to 1000 is actually a pretty
> bad idea - see below.

Yes, it was only for polling. From sys/i386/conf/LINT:

---
# It is strongly recommended to use HZ=1000 or 2000 with DEVICE_POLLING
# to achieve smoother behaviour.
---

> Only if wireless cards can generate sufficiently high packet rates to
> cause trouble, which may well not be the case.

Maybe not exactly "high packet rates", but apparently they can still
generate enough CPU load, especially with WEP and/or IPsec...

> (well, OK, 500us average) is pretty significant.  What's really wanted is
> a setup where packet processing is only delayed when the system is
> "getting in trouble".  And of course at some point you have to start
> throwing away packets when you can't keep up.

Yep, but let's leave that to the FreeBSD developers, shall we? ;)

- Manuel