[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Fred Wright <fw at well dot com>, "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall + net4501 keeps rebooting
 Date:  Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:23:37 -0700
At 11:33 PM 12/30/2003, Fred Wright wrote:
>Since the current watchdog support obviously needs work, that's probably
>not a bad idea, although it doesn't solve the underlying problem of the
>system getting too bogged down to run processes.

I disagree.  It works exactly as intended (and, I believe, expected).  If
you switch to polling, you increase the CPU load and packet latency.  If
you delete the watchdog, you'll just find some other process (mini_http?
dhcpc?) gets CPU starved and the system will still degrade, except in a
manner much more difficult to diagnose.

The only way to make m0n0wall support significantly higher throughput is to
get a faster hardware platform.  Replace your net4501 with a net4801.  Or
build a box with an Athlon motherboard.

At most, make the launching of /usr/local/sbin/watchdogd be an option under
the Advanced->Diagnostics menu.  That way, the adventurous can select the
behavior they want (reboot or get flakey) when their box is overloaded.

         -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400
        Phoenix, Arizona   85016-3228