[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Fred Weston" <fred at daytonawan dot com>
 To:  "'Darth Moula'" <darth underscore moula at atlas dot cz>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] ASK - generic PC hardware requirements
 Date:  Wed, 31 Dec 2003 21:47:29 -0500
I am running m0n0wall on a 133 MHz computer with 64 megs of RAM and it
functions just fine.  I don't think you'll find much else in terms of
simpler configuration, all that is really necessary is to boot the PC
and tell it which interfaces should be assigned as LAN/WAN.

Most of the features you mention are only loaded into memory when
they're being used, so if you don't use them then they are not affecting
system performance.  Those that are always loaded take up a miniscule
amount of space.

M0n0wall is a standalone firewall package, and doesn't include features
like local storage or a FTP server because it would no longer be a
standalone firewall if it did.  It's never a good idea to run
client/server apps on a firewall, you want to keep it as trim as
possible.  As much as I hate recommending it, it sounds like what you
are looking for is a PC running Windows with ICS enabled.  :-/