[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah at freebsd dot org>
 To:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 Cc:  Melvin Backus <mbackus at bellsouth dot net>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Aironet (was Re: [m0n0wall] Odd webGUI timeout problems)
 Date:  Fri, 2 Jan 2004 08:09:46 -0800
If memory serves me right, Christopher M. Iarocci wrote:

> In fact, the only problem I have is the fact
> that FreeBSD and Cisco Aironet cards don't play nice together.

You mean that the version of FreeBSD you're running and the particular
Aironet card you have don't play nicely.  Lots of people use these
without any problem at all (I have used 342 and 352 cards in my
laptops for years).

> I put
> that Aironet card in 3 different machines, and the same thing happens in
> each one.  Tons of errors from the an0 driver, and I can't get any
> computer to connect to it, even though all the discussion groups
> (FreeBSD) say the errors I get are harmless.

As you might have heard, a lot of these errors come from the driver
not being able to deal well with newer versions of the firmware on the
Aironet card, or with a specific model of Aironet card (the MPI-350)
that seems to have a programming interface different from all the
other models.  It sounds to me like one of these is the case for you,
although "tons of errors" isn't real specific.  :-p

The driver in -CURRENT eventually catches up, and then the driver in
4-STABLE catches up to that.  I just saw an an(4)-related to commit to
4-STABLE.

Ummm.  I just reread your last sentence above.  You know that there
isn't any hostap support for an(4) cards, right?

Bruce.