[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "M. G. (Michael) de Bruin" <mg dot debruin at buum dot nl>
 To:  Fred Weston <fred at daytonawan dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPTP using same IP network on both sides
 Date:  Fri, 02 Jan 2004 18:08:41 +0100
Fred Weston wrote:
> I've run into a problem a few times where someone will PPTP to my
> m0n0wall box, and then have problems talking to anything because their
> network is set up with the same LAN IP range as mine.  I could change to
> an obscure network, but I was wondering if anyone knows an easier way to
> deal with this problem.
One of the most used solutions is to do static source NAT'ting, where
you do a 1:1 nat of the PPTP clients. That way, the other end has no
problems with the network and you don't have to renumber, on both sides.

> I also had this problem a few times at a previous employer (not with
> m0n0wall, but the same problem with a Cisco VPN concentrator) and the
> solution there was to force the employee to change their settings
> because we couldn't renumber our network.  If I run in to it again, it'd
> be nice to have a solution other than force one side to change their set
> up.

With a decent setup, users het their ip through DHCP so the users
shouldn't be your problem. The servers, that's what gives you head-aches.

> Thanks
>
> --
> Fred Weston
> DaytonaWAN Networks