[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Prism firmware updates
 Date:  Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:12:26 -0700
Ok, this one has me sorta stumped.

I've got a Soekris net4501 with a EL-2511MP PLUS 802.11b Mini PCI card
radio from NetGate installed in the miniPCI slot.  The net4501 has been
running for some time, the radio is a fairly new addition.  The intent was
to integrate the functionality of the SMC WAP I had been using into my
m0n0wall.

However, two of my PCMCIA cards in notebooks will no longer join the
wireless network.  My Apple iBook and my TiVo both seem happy.  The PCMCIA
cards worked fine with the SMC WAP.

WTF?

It acts for all the world like the WEP keys are mismatched.  The MAC
addresses of the notebooks show up in the "Associated Stations" section of
the Wireless Status page, but show no signal strength.  If I turn WEP off
on the m0n0wall, the TiVo drops off line (claiming "no signal") but the
notebooks do not join (with or without WEP enabled).

I'm thinking firmware version mis-match.  Here's a snip from a "dmesg" on
the m0n0wall:
wi0: <Intersil Prism2.5> mem 0xa0000000-0xa0000fff irq 10 at device 16.0 on
pci0
wi0: 802.11 address: 00:02:6f:06:6b:3f
wi0: using RF:PRISM2.5 MAC:ISL3874A(Mini-PCI)
wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary 1.01.00, Station 1.04.09

If I check out:
http://www.netgate.com/support/prism_firmware/
that 1.1.0 primary seems ok, but the station is up around 1.8.0 now.  There
was an earlier discussion on this list that suggested 1.5.6(?) was known good.

Ok, (finally) here's my question.  How the heck to I get different firmware
flashed into the card?  The net4501 is the only thing I own with a miniPCI
slot, so we're going to be talking adapters or something if I can't do it
in place.

         -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400