[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bart Smit <bit at pipe dot nl>
 To:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  Michael Willers <splasher at gmx dot ch>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, m0n0wall dash dev at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] dhpc lease list issue
 Date:  Fri, 02 Jan 2004 23:28:48 +0100
Hi Manuel & lists (cc-ing -dev),

> m0n0wall loses the DHCP lease database on reboot - this is a design choice.

After actually digging up and reading the relevant RFC (2131), I feel
the need to reiterate my previously stated point that this is a bad
design choice. It conflicts with an explicit design goal of the DHCP
mechanism. To quote:

 > The following list gives design goals specific to the transmission of
 > the network layer parameters.  DHCP must:
[...]
 >     o Retain DHCP client configuration across server reboots, and,
 >       whenever possible, a DHCP client should be assigned the same
 >       configuration parameters despite restarts of the DHCP mechanism,

I really feel this leaves no room for slack (apart from the fact that
I'm one of those rare folks that is actually bitten by the loss of state) .

Will a big "please" do? :-)

--Bart