[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPTP from OPT1 to LAN
 Date:  Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:54:03 -0500
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:47:58 +0100
  Nik Clayton <nik at ngo dot org dot uk> wrote:

> And done.  And now it works.  Thank you very much for the help.

> I'm a bit confused about why it's working though.  I've definitely
>configured the m0n0wall PPTP server to listen on 192.168.0.239.  I'm
>a bit confused about the traffic flow.

> If I've configued my VPN client (it's the built in one on Mac OS X)
>to connect to 192.168.2.1, how does it then reach the PPTP server
>that's running on .0.239?

That is easy, but it requires some analogies that will kill the
purists.  Think of the PPTP server is sort of a virtual router.  It
listens on all the interfaces, but it's has a "gateway" at .239 which
is where you come out.  You can not see .239 until you connect, since
it is on the far side or the "router."  Clear as mud? :-)