[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Steve Yates <steve at teamITS dot com>
 To:  "Jay Binks" <Jay dot Binks at safeworld dot net dot au>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DHCP Settings
 Date:  Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:46:40 -0500
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:15:23 +1000
"Jay Binks" <Jay dot Binks at safeworld dot net dot au> wrote:

> But it does seem very strange that you would have to have your 2k3
> server
> Be the DHCP / DNS server just because your running a domain

	You do not have to use Microsoft's DHCP (however it sounds like
it would be more configurable and meet your needs).  DNS, yes.
Microsoft adds in several DNS entries pertaining to Active Directory.
You would probably have to add those in to m0n0wall and maintain them to
keep Active Directory working right.  Further, workstations can update
their own IP address in DNS...I doubt that will work "through"
m0n0wall's DNS server.

> However I was trying to avoid loosing internet connection, just because
> the 2k3 server
> Is down

	You have an interesting "haiku" writing style. :)

	Simple answer: make the Windows Server DNS your primary DNS, and
make your m0n0wall/ISP servers your secondaries.  You can even set
Windows DNS to use the others as DNS forwarders so it will cache

> I assume it sets its self as the default route for the network
> also if it does DHCP ?

	Gateway?  No.  Unless you use Small Business Server Premium and
set ISA Server up as your firewall/gatewall...in which case you don't
really need m0n0wall.  You can have Windows' DHCP server set whatever
gateway/router you wish.

 - Steve Yates
 - ITS, Inc.
 - Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

~ Taglines by Taglinator 4 - www.srtware.com ~